Alchua County Criminal Defense Lawyer
Have you been arrested or indicted in Alchua County? A criminal defense lawyer at Katz & Phillips, P.A. should be your first call after an arrest. Our team of criminal lawyers has extensive experience helping clients stand up to prosecutors, assert their rights in the justice system, and fight a conviction. Our legal team is available any time when you get into trouble. We can provide answers to your key concerns including:
- What happens after I am arrested or charged in Alchua County?
- What are my options to respond to charges?
- How can a criminal defense lawyer help me?
What Happens After an Arrest in Alchua County?
After an arrest in Alchua County, you may be taken into custody and booked in the local police station. This means fingerprinting and having your mugshot taken. You will be arraigned, and you will have the chance to argue for release on your own recognizance or release on bail. You should have a lawyer at your arraignment to help you try and convince the judge to let you out of jail without a large bond. If you do not get bail, you’d have to stay in jail pending the trial and outcome of your case. Your attorney will also help you decide whether to plead guilty or not guilty.
After arraignment, the pre-trial process will begin. You’ll learn about the evidence the prosecutor has against you and you will be given the opportunity to work on putting together your own case. You can negotiate with the prosecutor to try and get a plea deal during this time if you don’t want to go to court. You can also file appropriate pre-trial motions with the judge, like asking for evidence collected illegally to be thrown out or asking the judge to dismiss the case because there is not enough probable cause of wrongdoing to move forward.
During this process before trial, important work is done to help prepare a legal strategy for responding to charges. Katz & Phillips, P.A. has a strong legal team ready to help you explore defenses, argue for dismissal, negotiate with the prosecutor, and do everything possible to walk away with no conviction.
How Will an Alchua County Criminal Defense Attorney Respond to Charges?
Options to respond to criminal charges include:
- Seeking pre-trial diversion or deferred sentencing. If you have been accused of a minor crime, you may be able to resolve the charges without being left with a criminal record.
- Trying to get charges dropped. Sometimes, a prosecutor acts without evidence or suppressed evidence because your rights were violated. If evidence is thrown out, you can ask for a dismissal.
- Negotiating a plea deal. A prosecutor may agree to charge you with a less serious crime or recommend a light sentence in exchange for admitting you violated the law.
- Going to court. Your attorney can try to help you make it impossible for the prosecutor to show guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor can’t meet this standard, you walk free.
The right option is going to depend upon many different things, including the evidence against you and the kind of charges you are facing. An Alchua County criminal defense lawyer will help you pursue a legal strategy designed to maximize the chances of walking away from the criminal accusations with minimal or no penalties at all.
Let Our Criminal Defense Law Firm in Alchua County Help
Katz & Phillips, P.A. attorneys have decades of collective experience on criminal cases. Let us put our knowledge and legal backgrounds to work for you through every step of the way. Call today to learn more about how we can devise a criminal defense plan custom-tailored to your needs.
We Serve the following Cities: