Orlando Felony DUI Charges Lawyer
While driving under the influence is typically classified as a misdemeanor offense, certain circumstances can escalate it to a felony DUI. These circumstances might include having multiple DUI offenses, causing an accident resulting in injury or death, or driving with a minor in the vehicle. Regardless of whether you’re facing a misdemeanor or a felony DUI charge, the seriousness of the situation cannot be overstated. Your driving privileges, personal reputation, employment prospects, and even freedom are potentially at risk.
How Will an Orlando Defense Against Felony DUI Charges Attorney Help Me?
Confronted with felony DUI charges, your immediate action should be to consult an aggressive and experienced Orlando DUI lawyer. A trusted legal expert in this field is not just an asset but a necessity. You need a lawyer who understands the complexities of DUI law and is prepared to mount a vigorous defense on your behalf. They can explore every legal avenue, from examining the validity of the DUI stop to challenging the evidence presented against you. The goal is not just to avoid a felony conviction and the ensuing legal penalties but also to safeguard your future prospects and reputation. Remember, the right legal advice and representation can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
Florida Felony DUI Laws and Penalties
An individual may be charged with felony DUI if any of the following are true:
- He or she was found driving with a blood alcohol concentration above .20%.
- He or she caused a fatal accident.
- He or she caused an accident that resulted in serious injury.
- He or she has multiple DUI offenses on his or her driving record.
- He or she was driving with a minor in the car.
The penalties for any felony DUI are severe. If you are convicted of the charges, you could be sentenced to imprisonment, pay large fines, serve probation or community service, have your license suspended or revoked, or have an ignition interlock device installed on your vehicle.
In addition, you could also face criminal charges, like vehicular homicide, if you caused a fatal car accident due to driving under the influence.
Potential Defenses Against Felony DUI Charges
In defending against felony DUI charges in Orlando, several strategies can be employed, depending on the specifics of each case. These defenses are often crucial in either reducing the severity of the charges or, in some cases, leading to an acquittal:
- Challenging the Accuracy of Sobriety Tests: Your defense can question the reliability of field sobriety tests and breathalyzers. Factors like improper calibration of equipment or the officer’s lack of training in administering the tests can be crucial points.
- Illegal Traffic Stop Defense: If the initial traffic stop was not conducted lawfully, any evidence gathered during that stop may be inadmissible. Your attorney can argue that there was no probable cause for the stop, which can significantly impact the case.
- Procedural Defenses: This involves scrutinizing the arrest process and handling of evidence. Any procedural errors, such as failing to read Miranda rights or mishandling blood alcohol content (BAC) samples, can be grounds for defense.
- Medical and Health-Related Defenses: Certain medical conditions can affect the results of a BAC test. For example, conditions like diabetes or diets like the keto diet can sometimes produce false positives in breathalyzer tests.
Impact of Felony DUI on Your Life
A felony DUI conviction in Orlando carries consequences that extend far beyond legal penalties:
- Employment Challenges: A felony conviction can hinder job prospects. Employers often conduct background checks and may be hesitant to hire someone with a felony DUI on their record.
- Social and Personal Implications: Beyond legal ramifications, a felony DUI can affect personal relationships and social standing. The stigma associated with such a conviction can lead to strained family dynamics and social isolation.
- Mitigating the Impact: To mitigate these impacts, consider engaging in rehabilitation programs and community service. Demonstrating a commitment to change and responsibility can help in both legal proceedings and personal rehabilitation.
The Role of Expert Witnesses in Felony DUI Cases
Expert witnesses play a crucial role in the defense against felony DUI charges:
- Forensic Toxicologists: They can provide critical insights into the accuracy of BAC tests. Their expertise can help in challenging the prosecution’s evidence regarding your intoxication level.
- Accident Reconstruction Specialists: If the DUI charge involves an accident, these experts can help in reconstructing the incident to provide a clearer picture of what happened and possibly counter the argument that your alleged intoxication was the primary cause.
- Medical Experts: They can testify about any medical conditions you may have that could have influenced the DUI test results or your driving ability at the time of the incident.
Employing expert witnesses can strengthen your defense by providing specialized knowledge and challenging the prosecution’s narrative.
Our Orlando Defense Against Felony DUI Charges Law Firm Is Here to Help
The legal team at Katz & Phillips, P.A. understands the seriousness of the charges you are facing and we are dedicated to resolving your case successfully. Our attorneys have years of experience in criminal law and are more than capable of providing you with the aggressive, unrelenting defense that you deserve. Let us use our knowledge, skills, and resources to work on getting your charges reduced or dismissed!
Your future is too important – do not head to court unprotected and without the guidance of a skilled attorney. If you are facing felony DUI charges, contact an Orlando DUI attorney at Katz & Phillips, P.A. today!